Stacy Malkan | February 2014
Please comment on this post below and share your thoughts at #GMOtalk! Thanks to our 9,500 registrants!
What’s going on with GMOs in our food? I was inspired to create the GMOs What You Need to Know virtual conference because it’s getting harder to find unbiased information about GMOs in the media.
Why? As Monsanto’s director of communications Phil Angell told Michael Pollan in 1998, “Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food. Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA’s job.”
Yet the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s 1992 policy on GMO foods states, “Ultimately, it is the food producer who is responsible for assuring safety.”
So who's in charge here? These days, Monsanto assures safety with a multi-million-dollar PR campaign to counter the growing public demand for GMO labeling (see my article in Civil Eats for more on that).
To cut through the confusion, we created the GMO virtual conference so you can hear directly from the experts, many of whom have spent their careers studying the science and working in the field.
Here are resources from GMO experts. Please comment on this blog to let us know what you thought about the conference, ask our experts questions, or add your own favorite resources. Let’s keep learning together.
To the Healthy Food Revolution!
GMO Science, Health and the Environment
Marcia Ishii-Eiteman, PhD, senior scientist, Pesticide Action Network
- Dr. Ishii-Eiteman's blog about the problem of GMOs and pesticides
- Read more about the GMO Pesticide Treadmill
- What do GMOs have to do with bee die-offs?
- Peer reviewed study: GMOs drive up pesticide use by 400 million tons
- Connect with Pesticide Action Network
Michael Hansen, PhD, senior scientist, Consumers Union
- Great overview of broken regulatory system for GMOs: Dr. Hansen's Reasons for Labeling GMOs
- Consumer's Union comments on genetially engineered salmon
- Dr. Hansen's testimony in Washington State about importance of GMO labeling
- Connect with Consumer's Union
Thierry Vrain, PhD, former head of biotechnology, Agriculture Canada
- 60 minute lecture by Dr. Vrain, The Gene Revolution
- GMO Myths and Truths; science analysis by genetic engineers with references to peer-reviewed studies documenting concerns about GMOs
- GM Watch interview with Dr. Vrain
Belinda Martineau, PhD, molecular geneticist, author, helped develop first GMO food
- Dr. Martineau's book: The First Fruit: The Creation of the Flavr Savr Tomato
- Statement signed by 270 scientists: No Scientific Consensus on GMO Safety
- Connect with Belinda on her blog, BiotechSalon.com
Michelle Perro, MD, pediatrician, Institute for Health and Healing
- 30 minute video with Dr. Michelle Perro, Healing with Organic
- Dr. Perro's talk at Moms Advocating Sustainability Conference, Are GMOs Safe to Eat?
- Dr. Perro recommends: IRT, Genetic Roulette movie
- Connect with Dr. Michelle Perro
More science resources:
- Peer-reviewed review of 19 industry studies on GMOs reveals health concerns and sloppy reporting
- Hastings Center Bioethics Forum on Dr. Seralini take down: "low point of scientific journal publishing"
- Scientific American on the problem of seed companies controlling biotech research
- Scientists speak out against attacks on scientists who find problems with GMOs
Moms Rise Up to Build a Healthy Food Movement
Robyn O’Brien, author, AllergyKids.com
- Robyn O'Brien's book: The Unhealthy Truth
- Robyn's blog in Prevention Magazine
- Connect with Robyn O'Brien
Pamm Larry, founder, LabelGMOs
Lisa Archer, Friends of the Earth
Kristi Marsh, author, ChooseWiser.com
- Kristi's book: Little Changes
- Free chapter! Waiter there's a GMO in my soup
- Connect with Kristi at ChooseWiser.com
Lisa Bronner, Going Green with a Dr. Bronner Mom
Inside the Fight for GMO Labeling
Dave Murphy, founder, Food Democracy Now!
- Huffington Post article, 20 Years of GMO Policy that Keeps Amerians in the Dark
- The World According to Monsanto documentary movie free online
- Connect with Dave at Food Democracy Now!
Michele Simon, public health lawyer, author, EatDrinkPolitics.com
Miguel Robles, founder, Biosafety Alliance, Justice Begins with Seeds Conference
- Californians for GE Labeling press conference
- Justice Begins with Seeds International Conference
- Connect with Miguel at Biosafety Alliance
Grant Lundberg, CEO Lundberg Family Farms
Trudy Bialic, PCC Natural Markets, co-chair of Washington State I-522
Ecology, Justice and the Future of Food
Jaydee Hanson, Center for Food Safety
- Mercury News story: In some circles, GMOs means God Move Over
- United Methodists' Statement on GMOs
- Connect with Jaydee at The Center for Food Safety
Gopal Dayaneni, founder, Movement Generation
Zack Kaldveer, Organic Consumers Association
- 2 minute video: 4 questions to ask before voting for GMO labeling
- Great essay by Ronnie Cummins "Movement of Movements for Democracy over Corporatocracy"
- Connect with Organic Consumers Association
Arran Stephens, CEO, Nature's Path
- Arran Stephens on Why GMO Labeling is So Vital
- Arran's book: The Compassionate Diet: How What You Eat Can Change Your Life and Save the Planet
- Connect with Arran at Nature's Path