Ah, the sizzle of a perfectly seared steak, the juicy tenderness of a succulent chicken breast, or the mouthwatering aroma of a slow-roasted pork shoulder – there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of a well-cooked piece of meat.
But as any seasoned chef will tell you, achieving that perfect balance of flavor, texture, and safety is all about cooking meat to the correct internal temperature. Like any other meat, ham has to be cooked to the proper temperature in order to be both delicious and safe to eat.
What Is The Right Internal Temperature For Ham?
The right internal temperature for ham is 145°F (62.8°C). The temperature should be taken with a food thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. It is important to note that the temperature should be taken in the center of the meat, not the edges.
How To Cook Ham To The Right Internal Temperature
The best way to ensure that ham is cooked to the right internal temperature is to use a thermometer. However, a typical method would be to cook it at a temperature of 325°F (162.8°C) for 35 to 40 minutes.
It is also important to keep in mind that the internal temperature of ham will continue to rise after it is removed from the heat source. Therefore, it is important to remove the ham from the heat source when the thermometer reads 145°F (62.8°C). This will ensure that the ham is cooked to the right internal temperature.
Why Is Internal Temperature Important?
Cooking food to the right internal temperature is essential for food safety. Bacteria can cause foodborne illness when food is not cooked to the right temperature.
Ham is particularly susceptible to foodborne illness because it can contain higher levels of bacteria than other meats. Therefore, it is important to ensure that ham is cooked to the right internal temperature in order to avoid foodborne illness.
When Cooking Ham, It Is Important To Keep The Following Tips In Mind:
1. Ham is best cooked in a slow cooker or oven.
2. When cooking ham in a slow cooker, cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
3. To cook ham in an oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place ham in a baking dish and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours.
4. Glazing ham with a honey and mustard sauce is a great way to add flavor.
5. For extra flavor, try adding some pineapple juice or cider to the ham while it cooks.
Recipe 1. Ham and Cheese Sliders
1 pound deli ham
1 pound American cheese
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 stick butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together ham, cheese, onion, and mustard.
3. Slice rolls in half and place ham mixture on the bottom half.
4. Cover with top half of rolls and brush with melted butter.
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until rolls are toasted and cheese is melted.
Recipe 2. Ham and Potato Soup
1 pound ham, diced
1 onion, diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté onion in a bit of olive oil until softened.
2. Add ham, potatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until heated through.
1. FSIS (n.d) Food Safety. Safe Food Handling and Preparation. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/meat/hams-and-food-safety#:~:text=Cook%2Dbefore%2Deating%20hams%20or,be%20safely%20cooked%20before%20serving.